(Unless noted otherwise - events are only for paid up members of our Society)
Spring into Gardening is back in 2017 on Sunday, 8 October 2017:
As you know, Spring into Gardening is held at Prahran’s lush Victoria Gardens, and draws in thousands of keen gardening enthusiasts each year. The one-day festival this year will feature:
· Demonstrations by expert gardening and sustainability personalities
· Stallholder displays promoting reliable and on trend information about gardening and sustainability
· Children’s activities and workshops
· Roving entertainment
· Sustainable food and drink offerings
CSSA will be represented by Noelene and Felicity again this year, so if you would like to be involved, to assist, or to go along, pase speak to Noelene or Felicity, and for more information please visit http://www.stonnington.vic.
gov.au/Discover/City-of- Stonnington-events/Spring-into -Gardening.
- CSSA 90th Anniversary Celebratory Dinner & Social Evening: On the 29th of April we held our historic formal dinner to commemorate the Society turning an incredible 90 years old! The Victory Room at the Mathew Flinders Hotel provided the perfect backdrop for a night none of the many members present are likely to forget.
- Pets in the Park 2017: March saw another triumphant day out for the Society as we returned to this Malvern East pet fair. Huge thankyous to Noelene and Felicity, who ably represented the Society on the day!
- CSSA Annual Show 2016: Another fabulous season for the Society was highlighted by our much-anticipated 2016 Show and Sale, which was well attended by society members and the public alike.
- Spring Into Gardening: 11:00 AM - 3:00PM, Sunday 9th October 2016 - Noelene and Felicity attended to operate the Societys' Marquee, selling plants, giving out flyers and promoting our Society - a big thank you to both. (‘Spring Into Gardening’ is Stonnington’s sustainability and gardening festival. Held at Prahran’s Victoria Gardens, High Street Prahran, and drawing in an average of 5,000 keen gardening enthusiasts each year, the one-day festival features expert talks, demonstrations, market stalls, kids’ entertainment, live music and the highly-anticipated Great Plant Giveaway)
- Royal Horticultural Society of Victoria Gardener's Day Out - On Saturday June 18th from 9:00am this event was hosted at the "Rusden Theatre" building of Deakin University, Burwood Highway, Burwood. This year's presenters were: Sophie Thomson of Gardening Australia, Chloe Thomson from The Garden Gurus, and Craig Castree of Vasili's Garden. The awards from this year's Great Victorian Hanging Basket Competition were also presented at the event.
- Roraima Nursery Private Tour of "No Public Access" Area & BBQ - The Society had organized for a very special tour of the fabulous Roraima Nursery on the 9th of April, with our tour guide being owner/operator Lyle Filippe!. Approximately 8 members registered their attendance, with about 20 members on the day enjoying plant sales and a tour of "out the back". A fabulous garden - part of the nursery which is not open to the public which featured a wide variety of beautiful plants from succulents and cacti to amazing trees and shrubs, sculptures of metal, glass and other materials, unusual rocks and industrial/mechanical items, all purposefully placed into a unique landscaped. Everyone thoroughly enjoyed Lyles's dialogue of the plants, and stories behind the various plants and artifacts, and the vision for each progressing landscape. After the tour concluded, approximately 12 members travelled to the home of fellow member David Pretyman for a tasty BBQ lunch and opportunity to socialise and to admire Davids' collection of plants and cars!
- James Lucas's Open Nursery - Held on Saturday April 16th, there was a good turnout for this event. 5 members had registered to advise they were going and about 17 turned up; plus 19 from the Ballarat Cactus and Succulent Society, to purchase plants and see James Lucas's Succulent nursery, which seems to be forever changing and improving.
- Pets in the Park 2016 - After a good Society showing last year Noelene and Felicity returned to Council's outdoor pet and lifestyle event for 2016. Noelene reported at our society meeting, there were many thousands of people at the event, which was a great opportunity again to promote the society. It was also a fantastic day weatherwise, which contributed to the large turn-out of people, pet lovers and their pets with plenty of displays, music and entertainment, as well as a variety of stalls.
- Ballarat Begonia Festival Bus Trip - - The CSSA held a bus trip to the festival on Sunday 13th contingent of approximately 23 people went on the bus, all were treated to a surprise gift voucher of $10 to spend at the cacti and succulent marquee operated by our friends at the "Ballarat Cactus and Succulent Society. The bus conveniently left the car-park of our usual meeting place at Mt. Waverly Community center. There was a stop at Deer Park at the rear of the IGA supermarket, for a quick stretch of the legs, and a tea/coffee or food from the adjacent cafes. The travel time to and from was enjoyed with a lot of talking and socialising, some using the time to catch up on some sleep On arriving into Ballarat, the weather improved dramatically and we enjoyed a sunny 27°c day. After enjoying the fantastic display of Begonias, the Ballarat Cacti and Succulent Society Marquee, the many other varied stalls, and festival food and drink we will gathered again at 3:30pm to return home. The return trip was varied with an impromptu agreement by all to take the scenic tour home, via Daylesford, stopping for a break and a quick 'browse' and a few purchases at "The Mill Market" antique and bric-a-brac warehouse.
- 2015 CSSA Annual Spring Show & Sale - A very well attended event was held over the weekend of Saturday 24th and Sunday 25th October. A very big thank you to all our volunteers, show competitors, vendors and of course visitors, friends and general public for your support and contributions.
- Spring Into Gardening - Held at Victoria Gardens High St Prahran. Another successful event, a big thank you to Noelene, and her helpers for their assistance at ‘Spring into Gardening’ on Sunday, October 11th. Jill Abbott, Ann-Maree Richardson, Don Allison, and Max Holmes, all were kept busy on the sunny day. A great opportunity to promote the Society and the Show. There were 36 marquees at the event, and our plants were popular with the crowds.
- Mildura "Get Together" 2015 - A contingent of members and partners attended the "Get Together" held at Mildura this year from Friday 8th May - Sunday 10th May at the Mildura Golf Club, Mildura - a great opportunity to make new friends, catch-up with old friends, speaker presentations, garden visits and plant sales.
- Pets in the Park 2015: The CSSA was represented at a stall, hosted by Noelene Tomlinson and Barb Simmonds at the Stonnington Council's pet and lifestyle event in Central Park, Malvern on the 22nd of March 2015
- 2014 Spring Show: Our annual spring extravanganza was a big success, running across the 22nd and 23rd of November.
- Melbourne International Flower and Garden Show: Wayne Robinson and other CSSA volunteers hosted a stall at the famous Melbourne Flower Show between the 26th and the 30th of March 2014.
- Pets in the Park 2014: The CSSA hosted a stall at the Stonnington Council's premier pet and lifestyle event in Central Park, Malvern on the 22nd of March 2014.