(Unless noted otherwise - events are only for paid up members of our Society)
- Melbourne University System Garden: Unfortunately our planned visit to the gardens on September 16th was cancelled due to inclement weather (something like that experienced by penguins in the Antarctic). We were in the process of rescheduling and looking forward to our visit to the gardens. However due to significant building works infringing on the gardens, and detracting from the experience, at the recommendation of Tim Uebergang, the Horticultural Curator - System Garden~Officer, we are postponing this visit until late 2018, or mid 2019. Tim explained his recommendation to defer our visit, “…. I am very disappointed that all these works are happening at once and disrupting the magical experience in the garden. Hopefully in time this will result in much better experience at a later date and will be worth the current pain.”
- "Spring Into Gardening" 2017: As you know, Spring into Gardening was held at Prahran’s lush Victoria Gardens on Sunday 8th October 2017. Felicity and Noelene were kept busy in the CSSA marquee located in the gardens. They handed out many Show flyers, and some membership forms. Noelene gave some of both to Costa Georgiadis after she was interviewed by him, without warning, on and Iphone. Noelene summises the interview must have gone well, as Costa asked if he could hug her. Noelene doesn’t know what programme they were on, but someone in London made a comment at the end of it. For more information on Spring into Gardening please visit: http://www.stonnington.vic.gov.au/Discover/City-of-Stonnington-events/Spring-into-Gardening.
- Get Together 2017: “Get Together 2017” at Gosford New South Wales, was recently held on 29th of September to the 1st of October 2017. Some of our CSSA members were able to make the event (Noelen, Attila, Michele) and enjoyed 11 interesting talks, and visited 5 gardens over the weekend, while the sun shone. The Saturday night dinner included the big raffle, and Sunday night dinner was followed by the auction.
The hosts for the next 5 years were announced:
2018 Perth, WA Convention Sep. 28th to Oct. 1st
2019 Toowoomba, Queensland Get Together
2020 Adelaide, SA Convention Oct. 2nd to 5th
2021 Canberra, ACT Get Together
2022 Sydney, NSW Convention
- Geelong Area Bus Trip & Garden Visits: On August 26th our bus set out, visiting the gardens of the generous Sue Davis and her friends, Judy and Earl. The sights and delights of these wonderful member gardens were topped off with a delicious lunch, completing an all-around pleasant social day for the Society.
- CSSA 90th Anniversary Celebratory Dinner & Social Evening: On the 29th of April we held our historic formal dinner to commemorate the Society turning an incredible 90 years old! The Victory Room at the Mathew Flinders Hotel provided the perfect backdrop for a night none of the many members present are likely to forget.
- Pets in the Park 2017: March saw another triumphant day out for the Society as we returned to this Malvern East pet fair. Huge thankyous to Noelene and Felicity, who ably represented the Society on the day!
- CSSA Annual Show 2016: Another fabulous season for the Society was highlighted by our much-anticipated 2016 Show and Sale, which was well attended by society members and the public alike.
- Spring Into Gardening: 11:00 AM - 3:00PM, Sunday 9th October 2016 - Noelene and Felicity attended to operate the Societys' Marquee, selling plants, giving out flyers and promoting our Society - a big thank you to both. (‘Spring Into Gardening’ is Stonnington’s sustainability and gardening festival. Held at Prahran’s Victoria Gardens, High Street Prahran, and drawing in an average of 5,000 keen gardening enthusiasts each year, the one-day festival features expert talks, demonstrations, market stalls, kids’ entertainment, live music and the highly-anticipated Great Plant Giveaway)
- Royal Horticultural Society of Victoria Gardener's Day Out - On Saturday June 18th from 9:00am this event was hosted at the "Rusden Theatre" building of Deakin University, Burwood Highway, Burwood. This year's presenters were: Sophie Thomson of Gardening Australia, Chloe Thomson from The Garden Gurus, and Craig Castree of Vasili's Garden. The awards from this year's Great Victorian Hanging Basket Competition were also presented at the event.
- Roraima Nursery Private Tour of "No Public Access" Area & BBQ - The Society had organized for a very special tour of the fabulous Roraima Nursery on the 9th of April, with our tour guide being owner/operator Lyle Filippe!. Approximately 8 members registered their attendance, with about 20 members on the day enjoying plant sales and a tour of "out the back". A fabulous garden - part of the nursery which is not open to the public which featured a wide variety of beautiful plants from succulents and cacti to amazing trees and shrubs, sculptures of metal, glass and other materials, unusual rocks and industrial/mechanical items, all purposefully placed into a unique landscaped. Everyone thoroughly enjoyed Lyles's dialogue of the plants, and stories behind the various plants and artifacts, and the vision for each progressing landscape. After the tour concluded, approximately 12 members travelled to the home of fellow member David Pretyman for a tasty BBQ lunch and opportunity to socialise and to admire Davids' collection of plants and cars!
- James Lucas's Open Nursery - Held on Saturday April 16th, there was a good turnout for this event. 5 members had registered to advise they were going and about 17 turned up; plus 19 from the Ballarat Cactus and Succulent Society, to purchase plants and see James Lucas's Succulent nursery, which seems to be forever changing and improving.
- Pets in the Park 2016 - After a good Society showing last year Noelene and Felicity returned to Council's outdoor pet and lifestyle event for 2016. Noelene reported at our society meeting, there were many thousands of people at the event, which was a great opportunity again to promote the society. It was also a fantastic day weatherwise, which contributed to the large turn-out of people, pet lovers and their pets with plenty of displays, music and entertainment, as well as a variety of stalls.
- Ballarat Begonia Festival Bus Trip - - The CSSA held a bus trip to the festival on Sunday 13th contingent of approximately 23 people went on the bus, all were treated to a surprise gift voucher of $10 to spend at the cacti and succulent marquee operated by our friends at the "Ballarat Cactus and Succulent Society. The bus conveniently left the car-park of our usual meeting place at Mt. Waverly Community center. There was a stop at Deer Park at the rear of the IGA supermarket, for a quick stretch of the legs, and a tea/coffee or food from the adjacent cafes. The travel time to and from was enjoyed with a lot of talking and socialising, some using the time to catch up on some sleep On arriving into Ballarat, the weather improved dramatically and we enjoyed a sunny 27°c day. After enjoying the fantastic display of Begonias, the Ballarat Cacti and Succulent Society Marquee, the many other varied stalls, and festival food and drink we will gathered again at 3:30pm to return home. The return trip was varied with an impromptu agreement by all to take the scenic tour home, via Daylesford, stopping for a break and a quick 'browse' and a few purchases at "The Mill Market" antique and bric-a-brac warehouse.
- 2015 CSSA Annual Spring Show & Sale - A very well attended event was held over the weekend of Saturday 24th and Sunday 25th October. A very big thank you to all our volunteers, show competitors, vendors and of course visitors, friends and general public for your support and contributions.
- Spring Into Gardening - Held at Victoria Gardens High St Prahran. Another successful event, a big thank you to Noelene, and her helpers for their assistance at ‘Spring into Gardening’ on Sunday, October 11th. Jill Abbott, Ann-Maree Richardson, Don Allison, and Max Holmes, all were kept busy on the sunny day. A great opportunity to promote the Society and the Show. There were 36 marquees at the event, and our plants were popular with the crowds.
- Mildura "Get Together" 2015 - A contingent of members and partners attended the "Get Together" held at Mildura this year from Friday 8th May - Sunday 10th May at the Mildura Golf Club, Mildura - a great opportunity to make new friends, catch-up with old friends, speaker presentations, garden visits and plant sales.
- Pets in the Park 2015: The CSSA was represented at a stall, hosted by Noelene Tomlinson and Barb Simmonds at the Stonnington Council's pet and lifestyle event in Central Park, Malvern on the 22nd of March 2015
- 2014 Spring Show: Our annual spring extravanganza was a big success, running across the 22nd and 23rd of November.
- Melbourne International Flower and Garden Show: Wayne Robinson and other CSSA volunteers hosted a stall at the famous Melbourne Flower Show between the 26th and the 30th of March 2014.
- Pets in the Park 2014: The CSSA hosted a stall at the Stonnington Council's premier pet and lifestyle event in Central Park, Malvern on the 22nd of March 2014.